Firestone South still flexes its muscle
Firestone Country Club's South Course might be best known as the course Tiger Woods owned, figuratively speaking. Woods won eight WGC Bridgestone Invitationals on the classic course from 1999 through 2013. "Have Clubs Will Travel" host David Wood, though, tells a larger story about the course that opened in 1929 and was redesigned by Robert Trent Jones in preparation for the 1960 PGA Championship.
The course, which also hosted the 1966 and 1975 PGA Championships, features the par-5 16th, which plays to more than 650 yards from its championship tees. In 1959, Jones lengthened the hole by nearly 50 yards and added a pond in front of the green. At the next year's PGA, Arnold Palmer made a triple bogey on the hole and later expressed his disdain, calling it a "monster." The moniker stuck.