Where is your ideal fall golf destination and why?
As winter nears, there is still time to make one last fall destination trip. Where are you headed?
Please send your response to editor Stuart Hall. In order to be published, add your first and last name, along with your city and state of residence.
— — —
Kohler, located in Wisconsin, is ideal due to cooler weather and the beautiful, but challenging, Whistling Straits courses like The Irish and The Straits.
Bill and Florence Dowdy
Kiawah Island, S.C.
Just returned from my ideal fall golf trip. Awesome visit to the northwestern coast of Ireland. Absolutely magic. My notes on favorite courses and pubs:
1. Cruit Island Golf Club, Kincasslagh: Gorgeous solitude and the greatest par 3 in the world — No. 6.
2. County Louth Golf Club, Baltray: An Irish fairy tale. Stay above the clubhouse, play snooker after dinner and enjoy a full Irish in the morn.
3. Carne Golf Links, Belmullet: Not the end of the earth, but close. Dramatic seaside links in the dunes. Be sure to play the new Kilmore 9.
4. Narin & Portnoo Links, Donegal: You will be hearing a lot about this place in the next few years. Believe it and go.
5. County Sligo Golf Club, Rosses Point: Spectacular. Hard to believe this links could be 5th on any list.
6. Enniscrone Golf Club, Enniscrone: Remote and exceptional. Dunes are very high.
7. Donegal Golf Club, Murvagh: Where the locals play. Great links and long.
8. Strandhill Golf Club, Strandhil: Awesome links and great value. Perfect Day 1 course.
1. Shoot the Crow’s, Sligo: Yelp has it wrong. The golfing bartender Ronan is gem.
2. The Forge, Donegal: Traditional Irish, no TVs and music. Paul has a great sense of humor. Great front door and be sure to go upstairs.
3. McCafferty’s, Donegal: A bunch of small pubs under one roof. Very young bartenders. Very Irish, very friendly and very funny.
I would suggest golfers look at Harbour Ridge in Palm City, Florida. Two wonderful golf courses and excellent weather. Harbour Ridge does have a Be Our Guest plan that is designed to show people the wonderful lifestyle people are enjoying there.
Palm City, Fla.
I would love to golf in New Zealand. The new and old courses there seem to be amazing, and well worth the flight. Plus, the country and the people would round out the experience. A stop in Australia in Melbourne would be frosting on the cake.
Fall golf was always an October excursion to the Cumberland plateau in Tennessee. Great color, luscious fairways and greens with a nip in the air. Light a fire nightly in the Fairfield Glade resort and relax with a cold beverage and watch baseball playoffs at night. Or you could go as we did at times to Myrtle Beach before it was a year-round destination, when the hustle and bustle was gone. Sit on the beach in the evening and watch the World Series. But any fall trip meant a time to travel in the Smokies for fall sensations color and times.
Fairfield Glade, Tenn.
Sign up to receive the Morning Read newsletter, along with Where To Golf Next and The Equipment Insider.