The annual PGA Tour event, which features celebrities and industry titans, will not include amateurs this year because of COVID-19
For TV golf fans who would prefer not to have to cover their eyes while the likes of Chris Berman and Ray Romano slash at the ball during the PGA Tour’s annual winter retreat to Pebble Beach, this is your year.
The AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am will be held Feb. 11-14 without amateur playing partners, the PGA Tour announced Thursday, citing the ongoing COVID-1 pandemic. The tournament had announced earlier that spectators will not be permitted.
Because of the 156-player professional-only field, the tournament will be held at traditional host Pebble Beach Golf Links and Spyglass Hill Golf Course on California’s Monterey Peninsula. The tournament traditionally rotates for the first three rounds among Pebble Beach, Spyglass Hill and nearby Monterey Peninsula Country Club.
Tournament director Steve John said in a news release, “We will truly miss watching the actors, musicians, athletes and other amateur participants that make this event so special.”
Though the amateurs will not be competing in the traditional four-round, 72-hole stroke-play event, a pro-am will be held on Feb. 10 to support the Monterey Peninsula Foundation.
“This was a very difficult decision, but the right one given the recent surge in COVID-19 cases,” said Bill Perocchi, the CEO of Pebble Beach Co.
California has reported nearly 2.9 million COVID infections, resulting in nearly 32,000 deaths. The other PGA Tour events scheduled for California this winter – The American Express on Jan. 21-24 in La Quinta and, the Farmers Insurance Open on Jan. 28-31 in San Diego and the Genesis Invitational on Feb. 18-21 in Pacific Palisades – will be held without spectators.
Sign up to receive the Morning Read newsletter, along with Where To Golf Next and The Equipment Insider.