American Cameron Champ withdraws from Travelers Championship in Connecticut and faces self-isolation, 4 days after Nick Watney tested positive for COVID-19 in South Carolina
According to the Tour, Champ was tested during pre-tournament screening at TPC River Highlands in Cromwell, Conn., the site of the Tour’s third tournament since restarting the season during the coronavirus pandemic. He will be replaced in the tournament by Sebastian Cappelen.
“I feel great physically, and I was obviously surprised and disappointed to learn of the test result,” Champ said in a statement released by the Tour. “It’s important now to take the necessary steps and measures to protect others, including my loved ones.”
Champ will undergo a self-isolation period under guidelines issued by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the Tour said.
Champ, 25, a two-time winner on the PGA Tour, is the second player to test positive for the virus, which has no known cure and has infected about 2.4 million in the U.S., including more than 123,000 deaths. On Friday, before the second round of the RBC Heritage at Harbour Town in Hilton Head Island, S.C., Nick Watney tested positive for COVID-19 and withdrew from the tournament. He is under a 10-day quarantine.
Champ won earlier this season at the Safeway Open in his native California. He is ranked No. 79 in the world and stands 19th in the PGA Tour's season standings.
The Tour is expected to release full testing results at the completion of the pre-tournament testing process on Wednesday.
Sign up to receive the Morning Read newsletter, along with Where To Golf Next and The Equipment Insider.