ARNOLD PALMER’S LEGACY CELEBRATED ON HIS 90th BIRTHDAY
Golf legend’s legacy of “charging ahead” celebrated by partners and friends, showcasing his continued impact via the Arnold & Winnie Palmer Foundation and his group of companies
ORLANDO, Fla. (Sept. 6, 2019) – On what would have been Arnold Palmer’s 90th birthday this Tuesday, Sept. 10, Palmer’s friends, fans, family and foundation are looking ahead, celebrating the impact he continues to have via the Arnold & Winnie Palmer Foundation (AWPF).
A host of birthday events across the country are being staged by the Arnold Palmer group of companies, the Foundation and by friends and partners to celebrate the legendary golfer, aviator, businessman and philanthropist. These include an Arnie’s March at a Pittsburgh Pirates’ game; a display of 90 lit umbrellas in Latrobe, Pa. coordinated by the Pilobolus dance company; special GOLF Channel programming; and an auction to benefit the Foundation. See below for a list of details on all birthday events.
“My father’s legacy is really one of inspiring people to do better and to look forward—he wasn’t a fan of looking back, as he said—and so I’m thrilled to see his birthday used as an opportunity to do that, celebrating him and the impact he continues to make via the Arnold & Winnie Palmer Foundation,” said Amy Palmer Saunders, Chair of the Arnold Palmer companies and the Foundation. “We’re grateful to our donors, partners, and friends who carry forward the vision he and my mother shared, and we look forward to continuing to make a positive difference for another 90 years and beyond."
“Mr. Palmer lived an extraordinary life that inspired so many of us, and we are excited to honor his legacy on his birthday–and every day,” said Jon Podany, CEO of Arnold Palmer Enterprises and AWPF President. “During the runup to the birthday and for all of the activities happening on Sept. 10th, we’ve appreciated the support from our partners and friends in ‘Arnie’s Army.’ The light Mr. Palmer brought to the world touched a lot of people and industries, and we’re honored to continue his legacy for years and years to come.”
The Arnold & Winnie Palmer Foundation is dedicated to efforts on behalf of children’s health, youth character development and nature-focused wellness. More information on the Foundation is available at arniesarmy.org.
ARNOLD PALMER 90TH BIRTHDAY EVENTS
Saturday, Sept. 7
Pittsburgh Pirates: Pirates Charities and the Arnold & Winnie Palmer Foundation will host several activities at the Sept. 7th Pirates vs. Cardinals game at PNC Park:
- Arnie’s March: 90 young cancer fighters and supporting family members will participate in a pre-game “Arnie’s March” on the field; Arnie’s Marches have raised more than $1 million for children’s health nationwide
- Auction: An online auction featuring a golfer’s dream package at Latrobe Country Club, including an Arnold Palmer owned golf glove. Through Sept. 15, bids will be accepted at https://pirates.auctions.mlb.com.
- Crow’s Nest Party: A free pre-game party will be hosted at the Arnold Palmer Spiked Bar at PNC Park’s popular Crow’s Nest venue, and will include music and a display of Palmer memorabilia from his 1975 role as Captain of the U.S. Ryder Cup team
Tuesday, Sept. 10 – THE BIRTHDAY
- 7 a.m. tee shot: Mr. Palmer was born at 7 a.m. and to commemorate that, the birthday will begin with ceremonial 7 a.m. tee shot at Bay Hill Club & Lodge and Latrobe Country Club, with partner clubs, Arnold Palmer Design Company (APDC) clubs, PGA TOUR properties, PGA and LPGA Tour players and others invited to join. Those hitting shots at 7 a.m. or throughout the day are encouraged to share videos of the shots, along with personal notes on Mr. Palmer, to social media with the hashtag #LifeWellPlayed
- Lighting ceremonies:
- UP! THE UMBRELLA PROJECT: Symbolically representing the light Mr. Palmer brought to the world and its continuation via his legacy, a choreographed display of 90 lit umbrellas, run by the acclaimed Pilobolus dance company, will be staged on the athletic field at Saint Vincent College in Latrobe, Pa., with student volunteers, to honor Mr. Palmer and his support of individuals working together to achieve great results
- The Wheel: Lighting of The Wheel at ICON Park™: The 400-foot-tall Ferris wheel known as “The Wheel,” which towers over Orlando, Fla., will be illuminated in Mr. Palmer’s trademark umbrella colors (red, yellow, white and green) all day and night
- Individuals/partners around the world are being invited to light their own umbrellas and share on social media or to share illuminating stories of how Palmer inspired them
- GOLF Channel and GOLFChannel.com to feature dedicated programming:
- A day of Palmer programming, including Shell’s Wonderful World of Golf matches featuring Arnie; a celebratory watermark graphic that will appear throughout the day’ airing of GOLF Films’ four-part Arnie documentary in its entirety and more
- Ticket Promotion: Tickets go on sale at 10 a.m. on Sept. 10 at www.arnoldpalmerinvitational.com for the 2020 Arnold Palmer Invitational presented by Mastercard
- Ticket sales for the tournament launch on Sept 10, including a special “$90” ticket package commemorating the birthday. The package includes two “any day” passes, plus a $50 gift card to spend at a PGA TOUR Superstore. Ninety packages are available and must be purchased with Mastercard. Total package value is $160.)