World’s #1 Golfer Dustin Johnson, Along with Rickie Fowler and Bubba Watson, to Headline Star-Studded Field at Detroit’s Rocket Mortgage Classic
- Rising stars Cameron Champ and Aaron Wise also announce commitment to play in Detroit
- Fowler, a Rocket Mortgage brand ambassador and five-time PGA TOUR champion, has represented the United States in three consecutive Ryder Cups, two Presidents Cups and the 2016 Summer Olympics
- Detroit’s inaugural PGA TOUR event scheduled for June 25-30 at Detroit Golf Club. Tickets and volunteer opportunities available at RocketMortgageClassic.com
DETROIT (April 18, 2019) – Dustin Johnson, the #1-ranked player in the world and a 20-time PGA TOUR winner, along with Rickie Fowler, the world’s #10-ranked player, today announced their commitments to play in the inaugural Rocket Mortgage Classic – Detroit’s first ever PGA TOUR event.
With Johnson and Fowler leading the way, a number of golf’s other top players have also joined the field by announcing their commitment to play, including:
- Bubba Watson, a two-time Masters champion, 12-time PGA TOUR winner and the 17th ranked player in the world.
- Jimmy Walker, the 2016 PGA Championship winner, who owns six tournament victories on the PGA TOUR.
- Jason Dufner, the 2013 PGA Championship winner and a five-time winner on the PGA TOUR.
- Kevin Kisner, the world’s #25 ranked player, with his most recent victory coming at March’s World Golf Championship – Dell Technologies Match Play. Kisner is a three-time PGA TOUR winner and was a member of the U.S. team for the 2017 Presidents Cup.
- Cameron Champ, a PGA TOUR rookie who has already had his first professional victory and leads all players in average driving distance this season.
- Aaron Wise, the reigning PGA TOUR Rookie of the Year and the 2016 NCAA Division I individual champion, who collected four top-10s in 29 starts during the 2017-18 season, highlighted by his win at the AT&T Byron Nelson.
- Billy Horschel, the 2014 FedExCup Champion and a five-time winner on the PGA TOUR.
- Lucas Glover, the 2009 U.S. Open champion who has risen to #28 in the PGA TOUR’s FedExCup standings thanks to and 10 top-25 finishes in 12 starts this season.
- Charles Howell III, currently ninth in the FedExCup standings with four top-10 finishes in 13 starts, including a victory at November’s RSM Classic.
- Si Woo Kim, a two-time PGA TOUR winner, including the 2017 PLAYERS Championship, who is currently ranked 24th in the FedExCup standings.
- Corey Conners, an Ontario native who secured his first PGA TOUR victory earlier this month at the Valero Texas Open, has three top-10 finishes in 14 starts and is 17th in the FedExCup standings
Additional TOUR professionals joining the field for the Rocket Mortgage Classic will be announced in the coming weeks. The tournament takes place June 25-30 at Detroit Golf Club and will bring the PGA TOUR to the city of Detroit for the first time ever. A limited quantity of tickets is available at RocketMortgageClassic.com.
“Our player field is beginning to take shape, and it is another exciting sign that the Rocket Mortgage Classic is right around the corner,” said Jason Langwell, Executive Director of the Rocket Mortgage Classic. “With some of the top-ranked players in the world, along with a host of recent major winners and FedExCup champions, the Rocket Mortgage Classic is going to be one of the summer’s most competitive events.”
Johnson has won 20 times since making his PGA TOUR debut in 2007. He is the 2016 U.S. Open champion, has won six World Golf Championship tournaments and has four victories in PGA TOUR FedExCup playoff events. He is also a three-time member of the United States team playing in the Ryder Cup and Presidents Cup. Johnson has two wins worldwide since the start of 2019 – at the Saudi International powered by SBIA and the World Golf Championships-Mexico Championship.
Fowler – a five-time winner on the PGA TOUR who has represented the United States in the last three Ryder Cups, past two Presidents Cups, and at the 2016 Summer Olympics in Rio – is ready to bring his incredible iron play, sharp short game, fashion-forward style and California-cool persona to Michigan. With slightly more than two months to go until the 156-player field tees it up in the PGA TOUR’s first tournament ever played in the city of Detroit, Fowler has a message for golf and sports fans in the city.
“I can't wait to get to Detroit for the Rocket Mortgage Classic. The city is known for being one of the country’s best sports towns with some of the most passionate fans around,” Fowler said. “The fans can expect to see some really good golf. I know there will be a huge turnout, which will be an incredible opportunity to showcase the great revitalization that is taking place in Detroit to thousands of fans.”
Fowler captured his fifth PGA TOUR title in February at the Waste Management Phoenix Open. He brings considerable global star power to the first PGA TOUR event to be held in Michigan in 10 years.
The Rocket Mortgage Classic will be more than just a new sporting event in the city of Detroit. In addition to the excitement of watching 156 of the world’s top professional golfers competing over four days, attendees will experience great local cuisine, unique entertainment options and numerous other social activities to enjoy outside the ropes that will include on-course entertainment and more.
The historic Detroit Golf Club, a Donald Ross designed course that has been a fixture in the city for more than 100 years, will be open for fans with tickets beginning with player practice rounds on Tuesday, June 25, and the Delta Dental Pro-Am at the Rocket Mortgage Classic on Wednesday, June 26. The 72-hole tournament starts on Thursday, June 27, and concludes on Sunday, June 30.
Those interested in volunteering can apply by visiting RocketMortgageClassic.com and clicking on “Volunteer.”
About the Rocket Mortgage Classic
The Rocket Mortgage Classic will make history in 2019 as the first PGA TOUR event ever held in the city of Detroit. Scheduled for June 25-30 at the historic Detroit Golf Club, the tournament will feature 156 of the world’s top players competing for a $7.3 million purse over four days and 72 holes. Embodying the spirit of Detroit, the week-long event will also feature great entertainment, cuisine and social activities on and off the course. The Rocket Giving Fund is the primary charitable beneficiary of the tournament and will support many local charities. More information is available at RocketMortgageClassic.com and on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram (@RocketClassic).
About Quicken Loans / Rocket Mortgage
Detroit-based Quicken Loans is the nation’s largest home mortgage lender. The company closed nearly half a trillion dollars of mortgage volume across all 50 states from 2013 through 2018. In late 2015 Quicken Loans introduced Rocket Mortgage, the first fully digital mortgage experience. Today, 98% of all home loans originated by Quicken Loans utilize Rocket Mortgage Technology.
Quicken Loans moved its headquarters to downtown Detroit in 2010. Today, Quicken Loans and its Family of Companies employ more than 17,000 full-time team members in Detroit’s urban core. The company generates loan production from web centers located in Detroit, Cleveland and Phoenix. Quicken Loans also operates a centralized loan processing facility in Detroit, as well as its San Diego-based One Reverse Mortgage unit. Quicken Loans ranked highest in the country for customer satisfaction for primary mortgage origination by J.D. Power for the past nine consecutive years, 2010 – 2018, and also ranked highest in the country for customer satisfaction among all mortgage servicers the past five consecutive years, 2014 – 2018.
Quicken Loans was once again named to FORTUNE magazine’s “100 Best Companies to Work For” list in 2019 and has been included in the magazine’s top 1/3rd of companies named to the list for the past 16 consecutive years. In addition, Essence Magazine named Quicken Loans “#1 Place to Work in the Country for African Americans.”
For more information and company news visit QuickenLoans.com/press-room.
Greg Ball, 760-271-9183, firstname.lastname@example.org
Damian Secore, 951-454-6047, email@example.com