FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
September 27, 2018
Puakea Golf Course Offers Film Fans a Chance to Celebrate “Jurassic Park” Anniversary
(KAUA‘I, Hawai’i) – This year marks the 25th anniversary of the blockbuster hit, “Jurassic Park.” While watching the original film is an obvious way to celebrate the monumental occasion, the island of Kaua‘i has a unique way to pay tribute to the film – a round of golf at Puakea Golf Course.
“Kaua‘i has proudly served as the backdrop for many well-known Hollywood films,” says Sue Kanoho, Executive Director of the Kaua‘i Visitors Bureau. “With 2018 marking the 25th anniversary of ‘Jurassic Park,’ we invite locals and visitors alike to experience one of the stunning settings that helped define the film.”
The iconic “Jurassic Park” backdrop is visible throughout Puakea, with the Ha'upu Mountain Range that set the stage for the film towering above the Robin Nelson-designed course. Initially opened as a 10-hole course in 1997, this year marks the 15th anniversary of Puakea’s expansion to 18 holes, which has since been ranked as No. 14 in GOLF Magazine’s 2016 “Best Public Courses in Hawaii” and “Best of Kaua'i” by residents from 2013-17.
“Puakea offers a unique and fun golf experience in a lush tropical landscape, which is what makes Kaua’i so special,” says Dan Urwiler, General Manager of Puakea Golf Course. “The course is a must-see for any fan of “Jurassic Park.” Golfers at Puakea will be wow-ed by the famous backdrop in person as they make their way around the layout.”
Kaua‘i is an enchanting destination that allows golfers of all skill levels to enjoy the natural beauty of the “Garden Isle”. Proudly home to four of the top-15 venues on Golfweek’s “2018 Best Courses You Can Play in Hawai’i” Kaua’i’s golf courses should be on every traveler’s Hawaiian bucket list.
More information: 808.240.3251
About Kaua‘i Golf
Kaua‘i offers over 50 miles of white sand beaches – more beach per mile than any other island in Hawaii -- with approximately ten percent of the island developed for commercial and residential use. No building can be taller than the tallest coconut tree, and many places on Kaua’i are only accessible by air or sea.
Ocean Course at Hōkūala
• One of the “World’s Most Beautiful Golf Courses” by MSN Travel
• The championship 18-hole layout features the longest continuous stretch of ocean holes in Hawaii
• The only Jack Nicklaus Signature Course on Kaua‘i
Poipu Bay Golf Course
• Hosted the PGA Grand Slam of Golf from 1994 – 2006
• Golfweek’s No. 6 “Best-In-State” in 2018 and Golfweek’s “Americaʻs Top 100 Resort Courses” in 2017
• Poipu Bay and Grand Hyatt Kaua‘i Resort & Spa were named “One of the Top Golf Resorts in the U.S.” by Conde Nast Traveler
Princeville Makai Golf Club
• “One of the Top Five Most Scenic Golf Courses in the World” by National Geographic Traveler
• Golfweek’s No. 4 “Best-In-State” in 2018 and Golf Digest’s No. 10 “Best-In-State” in 2017
• The Makai Course was Robert Trent Jones, Jr.’s first ever solo design
Puakea Golf Course
• Puakea’s land served as the backdrop to many scenes in the original “Jurassic Park” movie
• Named "Best of Kaua‘i" by local golfers from 2013-17 and GOLF Magazine’s No. 14 “Best Public Courses in Hawaii” in 2016
• Owned by AOL Co-Founder Steve Case and designed by Robin Nelson
Wailua Golf Course
• Hosted three USGA Amateur and three U.S. Public Links Championships
• Former “No. 3 Public Course in Hawaii” by Golf Channel
• One of America’s most beautiful municipal courses whose original holes date back to the 1920’s; the course expanded to 18 holes in 1962 under the direction of Hawaii Golf Hall of Famer Toyo Shirai