(KAUA‘I, Hawaii) – Princeville Makai, Poipu Bay and Ocean Course at Hōkūala are "Golfweek 2017 America's Best Courses You Can Play By State”, a distinction recently bestowed by the national media outlet based on expert ratings completed during the preceding 12 months.
“Kaua‘i is proud to have a trio among the top 20 courses listed in golf-rich Hawaii, including all three in the top 11,” says Sue Kanoho, Executive Director of the Kaua‘i Visitors Bureau. “Add our Puakea and Wailua golf courses, and our island destination shines even more brightly. We invite golfers worldwide to visit and judge for themselves. Visit www.gogolfkauai.com and start planning; we’ll be waiting for you.”
Hundreds of Golfweek raters review thousands of courses annually prior to rating them in several categories. The category scores are aggregated and the total points determine the order of rank in the various “best-of” lists the media outlet publishes.
Perennially recognized for their high-end excellence, Princeville Makai Golf Club (St. Regis Princeville Resort), Poipu Bay Golf Course (Grand Hyatt Kaua‘i Resort & Spa) and Ocean Course at Hōkūala Resort feature stunning ocean views and world-class designers (Robert Trent Jones, Jr. and Jack Nicklaus).
Puakea Golf Course and Wailua Golf Course, both outstanding values and favorites among travelers and locals, are highly regarded for their exceptional layouts where coconut trees, lush mountains, ravines and / or Pacific Ocean vistas proliferate.
Golfweek raters have confirmed what golfers who love the Garden Isle have long known – that Kaua‘i is a special place with unique qualities, an amazing oasis where playing the game is an unforgettable experience and after-golf activities are equally astounding.
Kaua‘i offers more than 50 miles of white sand beaches – more beach per mile than any other island in Hawaii -- with approximately five percent of the island developed for commercial and residential use.
About Kaua‘i Golf
Princeville Makai Golf Club (www.makaigolf.com, 808.826.1912)
• Re-opened in 2010 following an extensive renovation. The Makai Course has since been ranked by Golf Digest as one of "America's 100 Greatest Public Golf Courses" in 2015
• Designed by Robert Trent Jones, Jr., the 18-hole Makai Course incorporates serene lakes and stunning ocean coastline; the leisurely 9-hole Woods Course winds through native woodlands against a backdrop of lush mountains
• The St. Regis Princeville Resort offers Halele’a Spa and The Kaua‘i Grill by Jean-Georges Vongerichten
Ocean Course at Hōkūala (formerly Kauai Lagoons) (www.hokualakauai.com, 800.634.6400)
• Named one of the “World’s Most Beautiful Golf Courses” by MSN Travel
• The championship 18-hole Ocean Course features the longest continuous stretch of ocean holes in Hawaii with over ½ mile of oceanfront golf.
• The front nine holes are highlighted by the par-3, fifth green encircled by a tropical Mango and Guava tree forest
• The only Jack Nicklaus Signature Golf experience on Kaua‘i
Poipu Bay Golf Course (www.poipubaygolf.com, 800.858.6300)
• Along with Grand Hyatt Kaua‘i Resort & Spa, Poipu Bay has been honored by Conde Nast Traveler as one of the top golf resorts in the U.S.
• Named to Golf Digest's "America's 100 Greatest Public Golf Courses" 2013-2014 and Golfweek’s “Americaʻs Top 100 Resort Courses” 2017
• Home to the PGA Grand Slam of Golf from 1994 through 2006, it has frequently hosted players like Tiger Woods, Phil Mickelson, Vijay Singh and other major champions
• The Grand Hyatt Kaua‘i Resort & Spa completed a renovation in 2012 and features a water playground with river pool, waterfalls, a saltwater lagoon, tennis and the celebrated Anara Spa
Puakea Golf Course (www.puakeagolf.com, 866.773.5554)
• Rated "Best of Kaua‘i" in 2014-16 by local golfers, ranked the No. 15 best course in Hawaii by Golfweek
• Golf Course Architect Robin Nelson used the natural layout of the land when he planned the course, testing all levels of play
• Puakea's 18 holes treat golfers to beautiful views of Mt. Ha'upu and deep lush ravines on several holes, which served as the backdrop to the original Jurassic Park movie
• Owned by AOL co-Founder Steve Case
Wailua Golf Course (www.gogolfkauai.com/wailua-golf-course/, 808.241.6666)
• Regarded as one of the most beautiful municipal courses in the U.S., Wailua was recently named the No. 3 public course in Hawaii by Golf Channel
• The course’s original holes date back to the 1920’s; the course expanded to 18 holes in 1962 under the direction of Hawaii Golf Hall of Famer Toyo Shirai
• Easily accessible from the Lihue airport, the scenic public course is a favorite of island golfers and tourists alike