Princeville Makai Golf Club, Poipu Bay Golf Course, The Ocean Course at Hokuala and Wailua Municipal Golf Course rank among 'Best Courses You Can Play in Hawaii'
Kaua‘i, Hawai‘i (September 8, 2020) – Kaua‘i’s spectacular collection of golf courses were recently honored by Golfweek in the publication’s 2020 ranking of the “Best Courses You Can Play In Hawaii.”
Golfweek’s panel of course raters named four Kaua‘i courses among the 15 best courses in the state, with Princeville Makai Golf Club ranked at No. 4, Poipu Bay Golf Course No. 6, The Ocean Course at Hokuala No. 12, and Wailua Municipal Golf Course No. 13.
Golfweek annually publishes its ranking of the “Best Courses You Can Play, State-by-State,” “Best Private Courses,” the “Top 200 Classic” and “Top 200 Modern” courses. Among the criteria used byGolfweek’spanel of course raters include:
· Ease and intimacy of routing - The extent to which the sequence of holes follows natural contours and unfolds in an unforced manner.
· Variety and memorability of par 3s, 4s and 5s - Different clubs hit; extent to which the angles of play create interesting and varied playing options; and extent to which holes offer variety of options from the tee and on the second shot.
· Basic quality of conditioning - Variety of playing textures; extent of turf coverage; consistency and quality of bunker sand.
· Walk in the park test - Degree to which the course ultimately is worth spending a half-day on.
Nicknamed the “Garden Island” for its lush tropical foliage, waterfalls and ever-present Pacific Ocean scenery, Kaua‘i is perennially recognized for its beaches, award-winning golf courses, ideal playing weather and stunning natural beauty. For more information on Kaua‘i golf, visit www.gogolfkauai.com.
Due to COVID-19, there is currently a mandatory 14-day quarantine for all arriving visitors by order of Hawaii Governor David Ige. Please visit www.gohawaii.comfor the latest information.
About The Go Golf Kaua‘i Courses
- The Ocean Course at Hokuala – The Ocean Course at Hokuala is a Jack Nicklaus Signature Course that boasts the longest stretch of oceanfront holes in all of Hawaii. The picture-perfect course winds its way through papaya and guava groves to dramatic seaside cliffs. A 2016 renovation added sparkling white sand to all the bunkers, framing holes to be even more spectacular than before. Rated Hawaii’s Best Golf Course, 2018 and 2019 World Golf Awards, golfers can also surf the earth on Hokuala’s Golf Boards during their round.
- Poipu Bay Golf Course – Poipu Bay Golf Course was designed by renowned golf course architect Robert Trent Jones Jr and is set between lush mountains and rugged ocean bluffs. The course incorporates more than 30 acres of colorfully landscaped tropical plants and flowers, making it one of Hawaii’s most beautiful courses. Poipu Bay hosted the PGA Grand Slam of Golf from 1994 to 2006.
- Princeville Makai Golf Club – Princeville Makai Golf Club opened in 1971 as the first solo effort of Robert Trent Jones, Jr. The course was completely renovated in 2009, introducing spectacular new Seashore Paspalum turf grass on all fairways and greens. Princeville Makai features surreal vistas of Bali Hai and Hanalei Bay, including the signature par-3, 7th hole that offers a 213-yard shot over scenic cliffs.
- Puakea Golf Course – Designed by architect Robin Nelson, Puakea is a spectacular layout built along massive ravines and lush tropical undulating terrain, with the backdrop being used for the Jurassic Park series. Named one of the top courses in Hawaii by Sports Illustrated, Golf Advisor and Golfweek, the dramatic 18-hole golf course is also known for its high-quality, "Kauai-style" customer service. Puakea was rated “Best of Kauai” by Garden Island Newspaper from 2013 – 2019. Puakea Golf Club is temporarily closed due to the COVID-19 pandemic. A reopening date has not been set.
- Wailua Golf Course – Wailua Golf Course offers classic, golden-era seaside golf holes just a few steps from the Pacific Ocean. First built as a 9-hole course in the 1930’s, and expanded to 18 holes in 1961, Wailua has hosted three USGA Amateur and three US Public Links Championships. This wonderful municipal layout was designed by Toyo Shirai and features stunning mountain views along the Coconut Coast.