Luxury community in Estero, Fla., renovated its golf course in 2018
Estero, Florida (February 18, 2020) – Residents and members of The West Bay Club, an 868-acre luxury community in Estero, Fla., recently approved a $12 million amenity improvement and renovation plan focused on updating and transforming the community’s Bay House activity center, poolside fitness building, dining options and Beach Club ocean-side amenity, as well as The West Bay Club’s Golf House and pub. This approval comes on the heels of a $4 million renovation of The West Bay Club’s Pete Dye championship golf course in 2018 by Fry/Straka golf course architects.
Meyers & Associates architects, Clive Daniel Hospitality design, Troon Design, West Bay Golf Club management and a resident-led Renovation Task Force collaborated for nearly a year on the West Bay Vision 2020 plan for these amenity improvements. Crews are expected to begin the first phase of construction this April, beginning with the The West Bay Club’s Golf House and pub and followed in phases by the community amenities.
“Together with the recent renovation to our Pete Dye golf course, we are confident that the new and improved first-class amenities from these facility improvements will cement our standing as one of the premier private clubs in southwest Florida,” said Gene Delaney, President of The West Bay Golf Club.
Located in the heart of the community, The West Bay Club’s Golf House and the adjoining pub will receive significant updates with the focus on enhancing the member and guest experience. Improvements to the Golf House will include:
- Improved finishes, acoustics and openness of the dining space will engage with an upgraded outdoor terrace with new furnishings and weather protected shade canopies.
- A new signature bar with bistro kitchen, featured wines and specialized menu options.
- A new first impression through an enhanced entry, porte-cochere and concierge reception space. The refreshed entry will lead to the dining and event space that will be expanded for additional seating and refinements.
- Adjacent to the new bar will be a private dining room also serving as a meeting space.
- The ladies’ locker room will be moved closer to golf operations with its own exterior terrace and refined locker room amenities, while the men’s locker area will also receive upgrades and alterations including a media lounge and upgraded furnishings.
- The lower level of the clubhouse will include modifications to the pro shop to allow an open facade into the retail space and the addition of a restroom adjacent to the golf staging area.
In addition, a canopy trellis will be added to cover the bridge linking the Golf House to the Niblick, the club’s village pub. This external canopy will tie into an expanded outdoor terrace space with outstanding elevated views of the nearby golf course and the lush surroundings. Additional improvements to the Niblick and new outdoor terrace will include:
- Expanded dining and social spaces with an adjacent chef’s station with dining counter and pizza oven.
- The main bar of the building will also be expanded and modified to include ample outdoor and indoor bar services.
- Interior spaces receive additional restrooms and a refined dining space.
- The lower level of the Niblick will offer a full-service kitchen serving both the upper dining and outdoor terrace and the existing patio will be enhanced with new furniture, shade canopies and refined landscaping.
- Expanded “halfway house” services and new restrooms.
As noted, The West Bay Club’s amenity improvements follow the major golf course renovation project completed in December 2018. Led by architects Dana Fry and Jason Straka, the course renovation project began in April 2018 and took nearly eight months to complete. The Fry/Straka team worked closely with a member task force to achieve the club’s goal of preserving the unique design aspects of the original Dye design, while achieving superb conditions and a playing experience that can be enjoyed by golfers of all playing abilities.
The community’s 20-year-old Bay House, currently home to limited fitness options and meeting rooms, will also be completely renovated and updated. To accurately determine the proper space allocation for fitness and wellness elements, a series of surveys were sent to residents to record desires for athletic programming, fitness equipment and other amenities. The fitness, wellness and meeting spaces will be improved as follows:
- New state-of-the-art athletic rooms for group classes such as Pilates, yoga, spin and more will be added.
- New restrooms with day-use lockers, showers, massage therapy, as well as steam and sauna rooms will also be added to the Bay House’s first floor.
- A new demonstration kitchen and meeting room for cooking classes and social gatherings will be incorporated on the first floor.
- Second floor meeting space will be transformed to a more open and flexible multipurpose space to serve the expanding needs of residents. Flooring throughout the second floor would be replaced along with lighting, acoustic enhancements, new audio-visual equipment, updated restrooms.
Located adjacent to the Bay House, a new fitness facility will be constructed. This low-profile building will sit behind the Bay House and is designed to blend in and enhance the Bay House’s pool area. The new 2,300 square foot fitness space is nearly three times larger than the current space and will include:
- Large glass doors and windows to allow for fantastic views of the pool and nearby golf course.
- State-of-the-art cardio-vascular and strength training circuits.
- Space for stretching and a trainer’s area.
- Men’s and ladies’ restrooms with daily-use lockers.
- Poolside restrooms, dressing rooms and showers.
West Bay’s Beach Club also will be significantly upgraded and expanded. Located on the Gulf of Mexico, the Beach House, an old Key West-style building is a community treasure. Under the amenity improvement plan, the Beach Club will be improved and enhanced in the following ways:
- A complete refresh of the Beach Club’s upper floor, including new paint, tables and chairs, both men's and ladies’ restrooms, lighting, kitchen equipment and acoustics.
- The outdoor area will receive new decking and railings, new tables and chairs, and proper shade elements.
- Additionally, a storage and a kitchen prep area will be added along with laundry equipment.
- Lush landscaping and reconfigured parking will add six parking spots.
- Finally, a new beach boardwalk will connect the parking area to the beach providing a better functioning entrance for our residents and guests, as they make their way to the water.
“Along with our Board, I am very pleased with our residents’ approval of the renovation we call West Bay Vision 2020,” said Gerald Beaubien, president, West Bay Community Association. “I am convinced that this forward step will solidify the entire West Bay community as the preferred premier destination in southwest Florida.”
“We are delighted for the opportunity to work with such a wonderful community and golf club,” said Christopher Meyers, principal, Meyers and Associates. “It has been an absolute pleasure to collaborate with the members and residents of West Bay. They are so engaged in the design and development of the facilities with wonderful involvement and insight. The beautiful surroundings, exceptional people and inspired design will no doubt result in a project that I am certain we will all be very proud of.”
The member-owned private golf club and community is located on 868 acres adjacent to Estero Bay and bordering 500 acres of nature preserve and wetlands. Troon Privé, the private club operations division of Troon, manages the award-winning club and community association.
For more information on West Bay Club, visit www.westbayclubs.com.
About West Bay Club
West Bay Club is a member-owned community with golf, tennis and a private beach club in Estero Bay located between Southwest Florida International Airport and Naples, with Captiva and Sanibel Islands nearby. West Bay Club offers a variety of exceptional neighborhoods and residential styles. Homes range from large single-family residences to high-rise living and everything in between. West Bay Club residents enjoy access to a host of exceptional amenities, including: a private Beach Club on the Gulf of Mexico with an old Key West-style Beach House restaurant; the Bay House, an activity center with casual dining; resort-style swimming pool; a fitness center; Sports Park, featuring pickleball and a dog park; and the River Park with boat launch and storage, canoeing, kayaking, fishing, an open-event field, children's play area, basketball courts and picnic pavilions. Golf Club members enjoy access to the golf course; Golf House, a beautiful fine-dining restaurant located in the clubhouse; and Niblick, a casual bar featuring a variety of local brews.
Headquartered in Scottsdale, Ariz., Troon is the world’s largest golf management company providing services at 465-plus locations around the globe, including managing 500-plus 18-hole equivalent golf courses. In addition to golf, Troon specializes in homeowner association management, private residence clubs, estate management and associated hospitality venues. Troon’s award-winning food and beverage division operates and manages more than 400 food and beverage operations located at golf resorts, private clubs, daily fee golf courses and recreational facilities. With properties located in 45 states and 33 countries, Troon’s family of brands includes Troon Golf, Troon Privé, Troon International, Honours Golf, OB Sports, Green Golf Partners, CADDIEMASTER, True Club Solutions, Cliff Drysdale Tennis and RealFood Hospitality, Strategy and Design. There are currently 67 Troon-affiliated properties featuring 87 golf courses on national and international “Top 100” rankings. Troon-affiliated properties include The Club at Hammock Beach in Palm Coast, Florida; Pronghorn in Bend, Oregon; Mauna Lani on the Kohala Coast, Hawai‘i; Bahia Beach Resort & Golf Club in Rio Grande, Puerto Rico; and Brookwater Golf & Country Club in Brisbane, Queensland Australia. For additional news and information, visit www.Troon.com.