From The Inbox

Nicklaus doesn’t know jack about average golfer, reader claims

The ball doesn’t go too far for 99 percent of golfers, so focus on the 1 percent who have created the so-called problem

Bryson DeChambeau has figured out how to hit drives un-golf-godly distances. Committee members at the USGA and R&A have palpitations, and emergency orders for additional fainting couches are hurriedly placed for both organizations. Jack Nicklaus commented that they've been fanning themselves too long while reclining on those couches, and it's time to take action.

Sorry, Jack, but I just can't agree. Many readers besides myself have pointed out that this “problem” affects about 1 percent of the golfers in the world and that any rollback would have a negative effect on the other 99 percent, reducing fun and probably participation. Oh, and we're supposed to be worried that longer courses will have to be built. That may be a problem for professional golf and a handful of amateur tournaments but not out here in public-golf land. And, as Nicklaus demonstrated at the Memorial, there are other solutions.

Which brings me to my question: Who represents public golfers in this world? I don't think the USGA does. Its efforts in the public-golf world are the equivalent of sticking a political message sign in your front yard and then doing nothing to advance that view.

Here in Minnesota, we have the Minnesota Public Golf Association, which runs competitions for public golfers and between member clubs but is not any type of governing body, as are the USGA of R&A. Maybe American public golf needs to establish the U.S. Public Golf Association as the governing body of public golf in this country. It could improve on USGA rules – no stroke-and-distance penalties, place the ball rather than drop it, etc. Maybe even run competitions between member public clubs, as the MPGA does.

I doubt that distance concerns would be on the agenda. It would be a win-win. The USGA can go on running the private-club world – that's where it is from, anyway – and dreaming of a lifetime amateur winning the U.S. Open while the rest of us in public golf can get on with reality.

Blaine Walker
St Paul, Minn.

See no evil
It is obvious that the PGA Tour clearly looks away as players ground their clubs and improve lies (“2020 Memorial: Jon Rahm takes his lumps and wins anyway,” July 20).

If the Tour won’t enforce obvious rules violations, what hope do we have that the Tour will enforce performance-enhancing drug violations?

Other major sports have had numerous suspensions, but how many has the PGA Tour had?

Gary Cohen
Great Neck, N.Y.

A bit of Jacksonian logic
Since it was reported in Wednesday’s Morning Read that a seventh player has tested positive for the coronavirus, in addition to three caddies, and these positive test results got a lot of air time and gloom-and-doom articles in this publication, it would seem fitting to report the outcomes for the six previous players and the three caddies (“Grayson Murray pulls out of 3M Open after positive COVID-19 test,” July 22).

It's obviously a small sample size, but it is important data nonetheless.

If you're going to sensationalize it on the front end, you should report the outcomes on the back end, as well.

Andy Jackson
Fort Worth, Texas

Morning Read invites reader comment. Write to editor Steve Harmon at steve@morningread.com. Please provide your name and city of residence. If your comment is selected for publication, Morning Read will contact you to verify the authenticity of the email and confirm your identity. We will not publish your email address. We reserve the right to edit for clarity and brevity.

Sign up to receive the Morning Read newsletter, along with Where To Golf Next and The Equipment Insider.