This week host Jeff Peizarro is joined by Nathaniel Crosby, who captained the U.S. Walker Cup team in 2019 and will reprise the role for the 2021 Walker Cup, which will be played at Seminole Golf Club in May.
With the USGA currently in the process of setting the roster for the 2021 team, Nathaniel describes about the process what the practice sessions at Bay Hill will look like, plus his own successful amateur golf career (1981 US Amateur, 1982 US Open Low Amateur), his pro tour run, and of course, stories of his dad, the great entertainer, Bing Crosby, whose love of the game had such an impact on the sport.
Nathaniel Crosby’s Background
- Nathaniel Patrick Crosby (born October 29, 1961) is an American golfer. He won the 1981 U.S. Amateur and played on the winning 1982 Eisenhower Trophy and 1983 Walker Cup teams.
- Crosby played golf for the University of Miami and qualified for the 1981 U.S. Amateur held at The Olympic Club in San Francisco, not far from where he grew up.
- In 1982 Crosby won the Porter Cup, an elite medal-play event for amateurs. He also played on the victorious 1982 Eisenhower Trophy and 1983 Walker Cup teams.
- Turned professional in 1984. He played full-time in Europe from 1985 to 1987.
- In 1988 he became president of the Tony Penna Golf Company. He then worked at Orlimar for 4 years, working as an executive at direct marketing. Since his experience at Orlimar he formed his own company to pursue high-end real estate and golf developments.
- Crosby has intermittently been involved in notable golf events since his retirement as a full-time touring professional. He regained his amateur status in 1994, initially in order to play in the AT&T Pebble Beach National Pro-Am, the tournament founded by his father. In 2007 he played in the Porter Cup, the site of one of his greatest triumphs as a junior golfer. He will return as captain in 2021.
- Crosby was inducted into the University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame in 2005.
Hit the play button above to listen, and look for more news episodes of the 18STRONG Podcast coming soon to the Morning Read Podcast Network.